Friday, May 21, 2010

Wildlife Day
















OK. HERE are the pictures finally!

I spent the morning on the smallest and most maneuverable of the launch boats on the Fairweather called an Ambar. Unlike the other launch boats that I was previously on, this one does not have a sheltered area so full cold weather/rain gear was needed. Our task was to collect sediment samples from the bottom of Shoalwater Pass and Princess Bay, right up my ally. We were the first of four launches to go out on this day. As we were being lowered down from the ship everybody started to notice porpoises all around us. Once the Ambar was deployed the porpoises began racing alongside the boat. They stayed with us for a few minutes. It was an awesome sight and an experience that I will never forget. Later, at lunch I was talking with the CO (commanding officer) and he told me that he had never quite seen so many porpoises ride alongside a launch boat for such a long time. What I saw were Dall’s porpoises. They are hugely active and playful creatures. They will often zigzag around at great speed on or just below the surface of the water creating a spray called a "rooster tail". They often appear and disappear quite suddenly. They will approach boats and ride alongside, but may lose interest, unless the boat is travelling quickly. I would say there were at least 15 to 20 of them, but they were so fast and difficult to count. This is something that I will never forget.

This was not the only wildlife sighting of the day. When we were transiting from one sample area to another, I spotted a bald eagle and pointed it out to two of the other guys on my boat. What happened next was awesome. Once we saw the eagle, which as I have told you are all over the place, we noticed another smaller bird in front of it. The eagle was chasing him and was hot on his tail. Suddenly the smaller bird had nowhere to go and did a nosedive into the water. This was so cool. Then the eagle proceeded to circle the smaller bird from above so as to saw stay down there. I also saw numerous whale spouts from a distance, too far to tell what type. While back on the Fairweather for lunch a stellar sea lion was swimming right along the starboard side of the ship. When I went outside to see him, he surfaced, came out of the water about chest high looked right at me and swam away, never to be seen again.

SE Alaska is truly a special and magical place. Not just for wildlife, the scenery is absolutely spectacular. I can’t wait to see what another day brings with it. More to come tomorrow......

1 comment:

  1. So awesome to see your posts...
    Sounds like you are really having a magical
    Alaskan experience.

    Can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete