Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Heading south towards Seattle!!!!


















































































It is hard to believe that we are already heading south towards Seattle, WA. I have really enjoyed my time onboard the Fairweather and will never forget these experiences. Being a Teacher at Sea is amazing. I have seen so many different things that I can now add to my “teacher’s toolbox”.

On Monday, I learned how to use the line throwing device was very cool (see picture), but that was not the highlight of my day. I was also given the opportunity to man the helm, and drive the Fairweather for about 10 minutes. It is amazing that a ship this big is so responsive to small changes is the angle of the rudders. It was sort of like driving a really big car, in the sense that when you turn the wheel right the ship goes right and turning left makes the ship go left. There is a lot to do when at the helm. You have to make sure that we are following the correct heading, going the proper speed, not heading towards any other vessels or obstructions such as logs or other debris, and in water that is deep enough for the ship. As much fun as it was it was a little nerve racking, my palms were definitely sweaty.

I did have the help of four other NOAA officers to assist me and help me know what to do. It is not only up to the person at the helm to make decisions about what to do or which course to follow. The Fairweather is definitely a place where the junior officers are being trained and learning what to do in all types of situations. This aspect of helping and learning was prevalent in many aspects of what I observed while onboard the Fairweather.

A while after I manned the helm, the seas got a little rougher as we went through Dixon entrance which marks the boundary between SE Alaska and British Columbia Canada. Here we were exposed to ocean swell from the Pacific Ocean/Gulf of Alaska. I was very glad this did not go on for too long. I made the mistake of trying to write this log while the ship was rocking and rolling a little bit. Not such a good idea. One of the officers told me to put down the computer, go out on the bow (back) of the ship, and look at land along the horizon. Being outside in the fresh air, while looking at land made me feel much better. (To Jay Dubner-sorry no pucking!!!!)

The rest of the trip is in what is called the Inside Passage. Tomorrow we will pass Vancouver Canada, and then early the next morning we should dock in Seattle. We already went throught the other part that people said was rough, called Queen Charlotte Sound/Strait. Thankfully today it was not that rough.
I will post at least once more.
D.A.

4 comments:

  1. hey Mr Altizio,
    it's me Stacey. just wondering, what is the main difference between neap and spring tides?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey,
    good question. the main difference is the strength or intensity of the tides. the way you would now which one is happening is based on where the moon is (which phase it is in). does this help?
    Mr. A

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rocket thing with the string, Tell me more about this thing, please. dan,vicary@sbcglobal.net or share with my friends, Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. wrong email: danvicary@sbcglboal.net no comma as shown above

    ReplyDelete