Wednesday, May 19, 2010

First time on a small boat launch in AK





























Today I went out on a four person "launch" in a small boat. Four such boats were deployed from the Fairweather. The goal of all teams was to use multi-beam sonar to map the bottom of the channels we are currently in. I can't say that it was fun, but is was very cool. I got to use the computers on board and to deploy a instrument that measure the conductivity, temperature and density of the water. One thing no one told me, was that after the morning rain was over that the sun would come out and it would reach almost 60 degrees, and that I should have brought sunscreen and a hat. Warmer than it was in NY, I think. I now know for tomorrow. And yes I am on a different launch team, doing slightly different tasks.
For now I just finished dinner, and yes it was very good again. In the meantime I am awaiting a debriefing of todays launches, and then hang out until bed.
What else, is on my mind.....Well SE Alaska is ridiculously beautiful, this coming from someone who has traveled alot and used to work in the Grand Canyon. All over the place there is something new to see. I am still waiting for major whale sightings. Last night before bed I caught a glimpse of some tails of porpoise (similar to dolphins), and this morning at the safety meeting on the stern of the boat (back) I sort of saw a whale surface for a moment. More to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment